Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
One of our favourites, especially in tomato season!! but good all year round. from Smart cooking by Anne Lindsay
- 6 tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
- Cut a slice from top or each tomato.
- Scoop out pulp to halfway down tomato and save for sauce or soup.
- In a frypan, melt butter.
- Stir in onion and garlic, cook over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in spinach, milk,and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon mixture into tomatoes and arrange in ovenproof serving dish or on baking sheet.
- topping: Combine bread crumbs, parsley and cheese, sprinkle over top of tomatoes.
- Bake in 400 degrees oven for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Thank you Dorothy for a exceptional recipe! Instead of cooking the mixture inside the tomatoes as you suggested, I cut a small piece of the core out and sliced the tomato into rings. I removed the seeds and put the tomatoes and the spinach mixture into a baking dish. The next time I make it I am going to add more spinach and cheese, bake it about 15 minutes and broil till it is crispy on top. My wife and I ate Lennie's mock wonton soup with this. We had a delightful dinner!! Thanks again!!
I started to make this recipe, and discovered halfway through that I didn't have any spinach, so I added the tomato pulp to the pan, and some steamed potatoes, and mashed everything up .. I liked it a lot and so did my husband! I will definitely buy some spinach and try this again .. thanks - UPDATE: This recipe is wonderful as is, and much better with spinach rather than tomatoes, again, thank you!
Needs a lot more garlic. Kind of bland and a lot of work.