Recipe by Derf
One of our favourites, especially in tomato season!! but good all year round. from Smart cooking by Anne Lindsay
Top Review by James Craig
Thank you Dorothy for a exceptional recipe! Instead of cooking the mixture inside the tomatoes as you suggested, I cut a small piece of the core out and sliced the tomato into rings. I removed the seeds and put the tomatoes and the spinach mixture into a baking dish. The next time I make it I am going to add more spinach and cheese, bake it about 15 minutes and broil till it is crispy on top. My wife and I ate Lennie's mock wonton soup with this. We had a delightful dinner!! Thanks again!!
- 6 tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut a slice from top or each tomato.
- Scoop out pulp to halfway down tomato and save for sauce or soup.
- In a frypan, melt butter.
- Stir in onion and garlic, cook over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in spinach, milk,and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon mixture into tomatoes and arrange in ovenproof serving dish or on baking sheet.
- topping: Combine bread crumbs, parsley and cheese, sprinkle over top of tomatoes.
- Bake in 400 degrees oven for 20 minutes or until heated through.