Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is from an Inn in East Hampton New York called the 1770 House.
Make and share this Tomatoes Country Style recipe from Food.com.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup minced parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves (optional)
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh basil (optional) or parsley (optional)
- Beat together in mixer, or process in food processor, the garlic, parsley, salt and cream cheese; add basil, if desired.
- Cut tomatoes into 12 even slices, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Spread 6 slices with about 2 Tbsps of cream cheese mixture each; top with remaining slices to make 6 sandwiches.
- Dip each in flour, then in egg mixture, and finally in crumbs.
- Fry on both sides over medium heat in mixture of butter and olive oil until brown.
- Garnish with fresh basil or parsley, if desired.
I first made these in the last 70's and had forgotten about the recipe. This is so good it melts in your mouth. Messy to make, but well worth it. Make sure you get the tomatoes evenly sliced and not more than 1/2". I found the recipe in an Benson & Hedges "Recipes from Great American Inns" cookbook. I did not use panko - I used real bread crumbs. Highly recommended.