Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a great Make-Ahead dish, ideal for when the hords are coming for dinner.. AND it's super easy to prepare. Bonus! I have listed the recipe as I found it but at ours we prefer extra garlic and TONS of fresh basil.. whooo devine, Guests went back for seconds and thirds...one day I will grab a photo of the inside, so far my guests have been too quick LOL. Posted for RecipeZaar World Tour 2006.
- Skin the tomatoes by putting them into a bowl, adding boiling water and leaving them for 20 seconds, drain and plunge them into cold water, the skins should come off easily.
- Slice the tomatoes thinly.
- Grease a baking dish well with some butter, arrange a layer of tomato slices evenly on the bottom of the dish and then sprinkle with some of the garlic, sugar, basil, salt and pepper.
- Add a thin layer of cream and repeat with more tomato sllice layers until all ingredients are used.
- Mix the parmesan cheese and the breadcrumbs together and srinkle over the top.
- Drizzle any remaining butter over the top.
- Bake in the oven at 189 C (350 F) for 40 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve hot.
Yum, this was delicious, modified it a little, I used tomatoes & zucchini, didn't bother peeling the tomatoes, cut it down to serve just a few, used some dried basil & left out the butter but altogether made a great tasting side to our fish dinner, thanks, a keeper!
Wow I did not except these to be this easy and good! I had a bunch of left over tomatoes so this dish fit the bill. My mother claim to dislike tomatoes but she ate the most out of all of my family! I used a lot of garlic because I like garlic on everything basiclly.... and My family is not a big basil fan tho so I went lightly on that. This is a def. make again!