Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
A great summer dish...especially when you have an abundance of fresh tomatos around. Definately try to use fresh mozzarella, it is completely different from the prepackaged store kind.
- 2 large vine ripened tomatoes, about 1 pound
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, preferably fresh,sliced 1/4 inch thick
- fresh ground black pepper
- basil or mint or parsley sprig
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaf
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed fresh Italian parsley
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed fresh mint leaves
- 1⁄3 cup toasted pine nuts, cooled
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, to taste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- On a large round platter alternate tomato and mozzarella slices, overlapping slightly, and spoon pesto in a ring around center of slices.
- Sprinkle with pepper and garnish with herbs.
- for pesto: In a blender or food processor puree all ingredients with salt and pepper to taste until smooth.
- Pesto keeps in a jar with a tight fitting lid, chilled up to 1 week.
- Let pesto come to room temperature before using.
- (pesto can be used for a variety of other things not including this recipe).
This was really good. I did add a bit more olive oil and when I do it again I think I will half the amount of mint. I was hesitant about the mint at first but, I think it was nice just a little less next time would be better I think. I doubled the recipe with great results. Thanks for the great recipe.
added extra olive oil & the pesto was great.
This is a quick, delicious & easy recipe. The colors on the platter are fresh and beautiful. (fresh mozzarella is a must!) I made extra pesto, put it in an ice cube tray and put it in the freezer so I could use the pesto on other things, or just have a small portion for whatever!