Recipe by kleigh83
A great summer dish...especially when you have an abundance of fresh tomatos around. Definately try to use fresh mozzarella, it is completely different from the prepackaged store kind.
Top Review by ProudMamaT
This was really good. I did add a bit more olive oil and when I do it again I think I will half the amount of mint. I was hesitant about the mint at first but, I think it was nice just a little less next time would be better I think. I doubled the recipe with great results. Thanks for the great recipe.
- 2 large vine ripened tomatoes, about 1 pound
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, preferably fresh,sliced 1/4 inch thick
- fresh ground black pepper
- basil or mint or parsley sprig
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaf
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed fresh Italian parsley
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed fresh mint leaves
- 1⁄3 cup toasted pine nuts, cooled
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, to taste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- On a large round platter alternate tomato and mozzarella slices, overlapping slightly, and spoon pesto in a ring around center of slices.
- Sprinkle with pepper and garnish with herbs.
- for pesto: In a blender or food processor puree all ingredients with salt and pepper to taste until smooth.
- Pesto keeps in a jar with a tight fitting lid, chilled up to 1 week.
- Let pesto come to room temperature before using.
- (pesto can be used for a variety of other things not including this recipe).