Recipe by Mercy
To jazz up this versatile and homey dish, add basil, allspice or thyme to the tomatoes. Additional vegetables, like onions, carrots and celery can also be added to the tomatoes. Herbs like rosemary or tarragon could be mixed into the dumpling batter or add a splash of cream or balsamic vinegar once the dumplings are done.
- 2 (1587.57 g) can stewed tomatoes, i liked to use sliced,undrained
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine
- 9.85 ml sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 473.18 ml Bisquick baking mix
- 1 egg
- 177.44 ml milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the tomatoes with juice, butter, sugar and seasonings in a large flat-bottomed kettle.
- Heat the tomatoes over medium heat until boiling gently.
- Combine the dumpling ingredients together and drop dough by teaspoon, in a single layer, on top of tomatoes.
- Reduce the heat to low (the tomatoes on the bottom may scorch if heat is too high).
- Cook, uncovered, for about 5 minutes.
- Cover and cook for about 10 more minutes.
- Remove the lid and serve.
- Garnish with black pepper and extra pats of butter.