1/3 Photos of Tomatoes and Dumplings
To jazz up this versatile and homey dish, add basil, allspice or thyme to the tomatoes. Additional vegetables, like onions, carrots and celery can also be added to the tomatoes. Herbs like rosemary or tarragon could be mixed into the dumpling batter or add a splash of cream or balsamic vinegar once the dumplings are done.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (28 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, i liked to use sliced,undrained
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Combine the tomatoes with juice, butter, sugar and seasonings in a large flat-bottomed kettle.
- 2Heat the tomatoes over medium heat until boiling gently.
- 3Combine the dumpling ingredients together and drop dough by teaspoon, in a single layer, on top of tomatoes.
- 4Reduce the heat to low (the tomatoes on the bottom may scorch if heat is too high).
- 5Cook, uncovered, for about 5 minutes.
- 6Cover and cook for about 10 more minutes.
- 7Remove the lid and serve.
- 8Garnish with black pepper and extra pats of butter.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomatoes and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.5
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 50.5 mg
- Sodium 1195.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 18.7 g
- Protein 7.8 g