Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe has been submitted for play in ZWT8 - France, from the CUISINE-FRANCE website. Tomatoes a la Provencale is a recipe from the Provence region. The tomatoes are stuffed with bread crumbs and garlic, then baked in the oven. It is recommended that this dish be served as a starter or as a side dish accompanied with a nice Rosé.
- olive oil
- 6 tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs, fresh
- 2 tablespoons basil, minced fresh
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, minced fresh
- 1 garlic clove, mashed
- 3 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- Remove the stems of the tomatoes and cut the tomatoes in half.
- Next, scrape out the seeds and juice, season the tomatoes with salt and pepper and set aside until needed.
- Blend the rest of the ingredients together in a bowl and fill each of the tomatoes with the mixture then sprinkle the tomatoes with olive oil.
- In a baking or gratin dish arrange the tomatoes not close to each other and bake in a 400º F degree oven for 15 minutes.
Great recipe for the summer's fresh tomatoes! The herb filling is terrific, especially loved the thyme. I liked that the tomatoes cooked up soft but not mushy. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
Soooo...last evening, down at the soiree, we were all circling the provencale tomatoes. It was all so awesome! Made for ZWT#8~France.
We really enjoyed these tomatoes. Such simple ingredients, but lots of flavor. Love the flavor of the fresh basil with this dish.