Recipe by Ben Ross
Another squid lovers dish. Squid is a very Australian food as there are so many caught. Every time I go fishing I catch at least 2-3 squid. The main difficulty with squid is making sure that they are tender. I would suggest serving this dish with rice.
- 1 (2 lb) squid
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 125 ml vegetable oil
- 600 g ripe tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 50 g butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the squid into rings.
- Chop the garlic and rosemary finely, and then put into a saucepan with the oil.
- Heat the oil and sauté the herbs for 2 minutes, add the quid and continue to cook, stirring frequently over a moderate heat.
- Wash and sieve or blend the tomatoes and add them to the pan together with some salt and a few twists of pepper.
- Cover with a really tight-fitting lid and simmer very gently for 2 hours (the liquid should only just bubble). Open the saucepan as little as possible, but from time to time to check that the pan is not drying up.
- Add the butter and if the sauce is too thin, thicken it slightly with a little flour, check the seasoning and serve very hot.