Recipe by breezermom
This is a great recipe for using up some fresh vegetables from your garden! I just love this with fresh home-grown tomatoes.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
This is a really tasty veggie casserole. Loved the addition of the croutons. I had some zucchini that needed to be used up along with some home grown tomatoes. I changed the recipe just a tiny bit -- I used petite diced tomatoes (drained) for layering in the casserole and then used my home grown tomatoes (sliced) on the top. I left off the cheese at DH's request. Sooo delicious! Made for the Culinary Quest - U. S. Southern Region, August, 2014.
- 2 small zucchini, sliced (about 1 lb)
- 2 small tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup crouton (or use seasoned if you like more flavor...I like garlic croutons)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (4 oz)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place half of the zucchini slices in a 1 1/2 quart casserole. Top with half of the diced tomato, onion, croutons, salt and pepper.
- Repeat the layers once; top with tomato wedges. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Remove the cover and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Serve immediately.