Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is a great recipe for using up some fresh vegetables from your garden! I just love this with fresh home-grown tomatoes.
- 2 small zucchini, sliced (about 1 lb)
- 2 small tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup crouton (or use seasoned if you like more flavor...I like garlic croutons)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (4 oz)
- Place half of the zucchini slices in a 1 1/2 quart casserole. Top with half of the diced tomato, onion, croutons, salt and pepper.
- Repeat the layers once; top with tomato wedges. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Remove the cover and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Serve immediately.
This is a really tasty veggie casserole. Loved the addition of the croutons. I had some zucchini that needed to be used up along with some home grown tomatoes. I changed the recipe just a tiny bit -- I used petite diced tomatoes (drained) for layering in the casserole and then used my home grown tomatoes (sliced) on the top. I left off the cheese at DH's request. Sooo delicious! Made for the Culinary Quest - U. S. Southern Region, August, 2014.
Such a simple and colourful veggie dish, next time I would prefer to use larger zucchini as mine were little and didnt present so well, but taste wise, perfect. Really enjoyed this, thank you breezermom, this was made and enjoyed for International Agents of Quest, USA Southern Region Updated to add, made again, excellent :) made my own garlic croutons this time
This was a great way to use up some garden veggies. I used Stove Top stuffing for the croutons (chicken) and was in a hurry so cooked 20 minutes in the microwave, then melted the cheese. Made for CQ 14.