Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
I was never quite sure how to cook zucchini until I tried this at my Aunt's house. I fell in love with it instantly!!
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium zucchini
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- Combine first six ingredients in bowl.
- Slice zucchini and tomatoes thinly.
- Butter a square baking dish.
- Arrange 1/2 of zucchini in pan;sprinkle with 1/4 of cheese mixture then 1/2 of the tomatoes.
- Sprinke with another 1/4 of cheese mixture and arrange remaining zucchini on top.
- Sprinlke again with1/4 of cheese mixture and top with remaining tomatoes.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese mix on top.
- In small skillet, melt butter and saute onions until soft.
- Add bread crumbs and stir until they absorb butter.
- Spread on top of casserole.
- Cover loosely and bake in 375 oven for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 20-25 minutes.
- longer or until top is crusty and veggies are tender.
We have so many zucchinis and tomatoes growing in our garden, and I was searching for recipes. This one is fantastic. The only change I made was using toasted bread cubes instead of crumbs.
have not tried this yet but it sounds dreamy... a little high in fats..but that can easily be altered if needed by using low/no/fat cheeses.. would also be great combined with the surprise breakfast..posted by grandma connie..... great ideas........