1/6 Photos of Tomato/Zucchini Casserole
1 hr 5 mins
TOOLBELT DIVA's Note:
Like it or Lump it! Zucchini (Courjette) is a fact of life, and true to its inherent squash quality, they do grow to an enormous size. What does one do with so much zucchini? Make zucchini bread for bake sales, for pot lucks, for gifts at Christmas, for hostess gifts. or make a lovely tomato/zucchini casseroles for a nice change. The addition of salt in this recipe is rather discretionary, given the salt factor in the cheeses. Govern yourself accordingly. Although the salt item is included in the recipe, personally, I omit it entirely (once again, because of the cheeses).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced thinly
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced fine
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1Preheat over to 375°F/190°C.
- 2Combine cheeses, herbs, garlic, (optional salt), black pepper.
- 3Thinly slice zucchini and tomatoes.
- 4Butter an 8 inch, square pan.
- 5Arrange 1/2 the zucchini slices in the pan.
- 6Sprinkle with 1/4 of the cheese/seasonings mixture.
- 7Add 1/2 the tomato slices
- 8Sprinkle again with 1/4 of the cheese/seasonings mixture.
- 9Add and arrange remainder of the zucchini slices
- 10Sprinkle again with 1/4 of the cheese/seasonings mixture.
- 11Top with remaining tomato slices.
- 12Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cheese/seasonings mixture.
- 13In a small skillet melt butter and saute onion until soft.
- 14Add bread crumbs and stir until the butter is absorbed.
- 15Spread evenly over casserole.
- 16Cover loosely and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- 17Remove cover and continue baking for additional 20 - 25 minutes longer until top is crusty.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato/Zucchini Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 349.9
- Calories from Fat 220
- Total Fat 24.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 67.4 mg
- Sodium 503.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 14.9 g