Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I've been making a version of this dish for years, but recently added a few different ingredients for added flavour. This could be a nice vegetarian dish with extra cheese on top, but I serve it as a side dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 -2 clove crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried basil (or substitute fresh)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 5 stoned wheat thins crackers, broken into pieces,but not crushed (or substitute any milk flavoured crackers. You need about 3/4 c of cracker pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Saute the onions, mushrooms, and garlic until cooked, but not browned.
- Add the basil and cook another minute or so.
- Mix the onion mixture with the tomatoes, the cracker pieces, the pepper, and the tabasco sauce.
- Layer the tomato mixture with the zucchini, beginning and ending with the tomato.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbly and the zucchini is tender.