I've been making a version of this dish for years, but recently added a few different ingredients for added flavour. This could be a nice vegetarian dish with extra cheese on top, but I serve it as a side dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 -2 clove crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried basil (or substitute fresh)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 5 stoned wheat thins crackers, broken into pieces,but not crushed (or substitute any milk flavoured crackers. You need about 3/4 c of cracker pieces)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1Heat oil in a skillet.
- 2Saute the onions, mushrooms, and garlic until cooked, but not browned.
- 3Add the basil and cook another minute or so.
- 4Mix the onion mixture with the tomatoes, the cracker pieces, the pepper, and the tabasco sauce.
- 5Layer the tomato mixture with the zucchini, beginning and ending with the tomato.
- 6Top with cheese.
- 7Bake at 325 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbly and the zucchini is tender.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Zucchini Bake
Serving Size: 1 (202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 107.2
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 9.8 mg
- Sodium 350.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
wheat thins crackers