Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Health side dish. Mums recipe which no roast was complete without. The herbs vary, if I have fresh basil in the garden I also layer in between. Measurements are also pretty rough. I use the microwave to really cut down on the cooking time. Works a treat.
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 zucchini, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- cracked black pepper
- Lightly grease a small casserole dish.
- Place a layer of zucchini on the base followed by a layer of tomatoes.
- Grind pepper over tomatoes, sprinkle with diced onion, garlic and herbs, add basil if available.
- Repeat the process until all ingredients are used, ending in a layer of tomatoes.
- Place in microwave and cook on medium high until zucchini is slightly tender.
- Sprinkle with bread (or rice) crumbs and dot with butter. Several slices of tomatoes can also be placed on top of crumbs for decoration.
- Place in a hot oven until crumbs are browned.
delicious! I made the recipe as directed using 2 zucchini and 2 tomatoes. This isa great side dish. next time I will use 3 tomatoes.
This was delicious, and it smelled wonderfully inviting while it was in the oven. The directions mention to add the basil, but basil isn't listed as an ingredient (not even as an optional ingredient). So I just added sprinkled a bit of basil with the other mixed Italian herbs. And I didn't bother dotting with butter. But other than that, I pretty much stuck to the recipe, and it was a huge hit with my family. Thank you for sharing your recipe, sams1. This is a winner!
Great use for the abundaance of zucchini in my garden. Great tasting light dinner. I microwaved this, though I am not a big fan of the microwave, though this turned out well. I did add a pinch of basil, and parsley to this, as it made for a quick light dinner for the 4 of us. Made for I Recommend.