Recipe by dawetl
A nice light soup which is quite tasty and easy to make.
Top Review by Dev3322
Very tasty. This recipe is a keeper. For a slight variation, I used brown basmati rice (Texmati brand), which adds a nice flavor and texture, as well as some additional nutrients. Also, my kids aren't crazy about the chunkiness of the canned tomatoes, so I chopped the tomatoes in a blender before adding to the soup, and it was a big success. Thanks for posting!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (10 ounce) can vegetable broth
- plus 1 can water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup long grain rice
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in saucepan.
- Add garlic and onions and cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, water, basil and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; stir in rice.
- Cover and simmer over low heat, about 20 minutes or until rice is cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in zucchini, heat through 1 minute.