Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a recipe I copied from Food and Wine magazine. It is easy and has a great flavor to it. I have substituted thyme for dill. If you have flavored feta available, that is really nice twist to add with this dish. Just delete the thyme. I have done both the original recipe and the flavored fetas with success. It is a lovely way to make a dish when you have a bumper crop of zucchini and tomatoes coming out of your garden.
- 1 large zucchini
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme, minced
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Slice zucchini into 1/2" rounds. Blanch zucchini in boiling water for 4 minutes. Drain well, and pat dry.
- Slice tomatoes, lengthwise, into 4 slices per tomato. With a spoon remove seeds.
- In a greased 9x9 glass baking dish, place zucchini, overlapping, in a single layer to cover bottom of dish.
- Drizzle zucchini with 1 tbsp of olive oil over top.
- Sprinkle with with garlic, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Next add a layer of crumbled feta.
- Top dish with tomato slices.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle all of casserole with remaining oil.
- Bake, in preheated, 400°F oven for 40 minutes. Remove and let rest 10 minutes before serving.
I love this recipe for it's simplicity. The feta cheese definitely is the key to a heavenly dish, however if I don't want to run to the store it is also good with parmesan. I agree with Queer Eye in the Kitchen Guy, no need to blanch anything, just pop it in the oven and cook for 30 mins. I like to make this a meal by serving it over linguine noodles. Thank you Expat, mmm!
This was a great way to use tomatoes & thyme from the garden. I didnt blanche the zucchini & only cooked it for 30 minutes. 25 min. would have been fine too since we prefer the zucchini not too mushy. The flavors were excellent! This is definitely a keeper & would be a great side or even main course all year round! Thanks for sharing!
This made the entire house smell wonderful and it tasted equally delicious. Pretty to look at also!