Recipe by **Pebbles**
From Tampa Tribune Parade 8/29/2004
Top Review by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
MmmmMmmm Good! What a nice change of pace for dinner. Can't wait to make this as an appy. I bought some homemade pita at the Farmer's Market, just perfect for this. I lightly brushed each side of the pita with EVOO then baked for 3-4 mins > to crisp up the pita & prevent the pita from getting soggy with sauce. Oven roasted bell pepper slices and onions w/ EVOO for 7 mins. We each made our pizzas by adding our favorite toppings (peppers, onions, hot Italian sausage, black olives, basil, fresh and shredded mozzarella cheeses, tomatoes. Finally, baked on a preheated baking stone. It's a keeper. Thanks Pebbles!
- 1 6 1/2 inch pita bread
- 1⁄3 cup prepared marinara sauce
- 1⁄3 cup diced fresh mozzarella cheese (1/4 inch dice)
- 1 small ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced,slices halved
- 2 -3 tablespoons thinly sliced red onions
- 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 4 imported black olives
- 1 tablespoon finely slivered basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place pita on baking sheet.
- Spread sauce to within 1/2 inch from edge.
- Sprinkle mozzarella.
- Arrange remaining vegetables.
- Sprinkle basic, drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake until cheese is melted and veggies tender, about 10 minutes.
- Serves 2 as an appetizer, or 1 as an entree.
- NOTE: Veggies should be blanched to ensure tenderness.