Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My boss, who is an excellent cook, gave this recipe to me about 10 years ago. It's terrific and very EASY--A must try! It's also really good the next day cold! I believe that it is also works for the SB Diet.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1 (24 ounce) candiced and peeled tomatoes
- 2 (12 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 teaspoons dry basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- Heat oil in pot large enough to hold all ingredients.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent (approx 7 minutes).
- Add celery and carrots, sauté 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, beef broth, basil, thyme, parsley, and red pepper and bring to a boil.
- Cover when at a boil and lower heat and simmer until it thickens for approx 45 minutes.
- You can add additional remaining chopped parsley or grated parmesan cheese on top when serving.
This recipe is delicious, it is one of my favorite soup dishes that I have found so far, and very easy to make. We also like to add a can of chickpeas (drained) they go great with the soup.