Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 ears corn, cut kernels off ears
- 4 medium potatoes, chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 6 cups tomato sauce
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup penne pasta (optional)
- 1 dash cumin (optional)
- Saute onions, celery and garlic in the olive oil in the bottom of a dutch oven or other soup pot.
- When tender, add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add cooked penne pasta to soup if desired.
This is a wonderful soup! It is simple to prepare and delicious to taste! The ingredients are all readily available. I did substitute 1 can of petite diced tomatoes for the fresh ones. And I also used 2 cans of vegetable broth for the chicken broth as this is just a personal preference. I will definitely be making this soup as an addition to my permanent cookbook! Thanks Mimi for an excellent recipe!
Very nice! I like the dash of cumin.
Excellent soup! I added more tomato sauce and chicken stock than it calls for, and I ommitted the potatoes. Everyone really enjoyed it!