Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Pizza style, single serving, wonderful freshly harvested, vine ripened tomato slices and pesto--Nummy!
- 1 pita bread (6 inch) or 1 flat bread (6 inch) or 1 English muffins (6 inch) or 1 split crusty roll (6 inch)
- 1 -2 tablespoon store bought pesto sauce
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheese, your choice (parmesan, cheddar, mozzarella, etc.)
- 2 slices thick large freshly harvested tomatoes
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 dash salt
- 1 slice onion, very thinly sliced
- Spread pesto on flatbread, English muffin or split crusty roll.
- Top with your favourite shredded cheese.
- Add thick slices of tomato; sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Top with thinly sliced onion.
- Broil about 6 inches from heat until tomato is soft and cheese is melted.
- About 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
We had this as a side dish to a vegetarian meal, I know I will make this again, but also for lunch or as a snack.Good flavors and one of the few times that pesto from a jar works really well.It also was put together in minutes, I used round pita bread for it and they looked like little mini pizza's,I did add some fresh garlic, olives and a drizzle of olive oil, simply because I like those ingredients and I was sure it wouldn't damage the recipe.
Mmmmm! This is great for breakfast on crusty sourdough steak rolls! Sublime!
Ah yes, this is a classic combo! Used old Gouda for the cheese - sooo yummy! Thanks Derf!