Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Excellent dish when tomatoes are in season. To cut calories I sometimes use fat-free mayo and cheese and it is still wonderful. 8/31/07 After reading the recent review, I realized I failed to mention that you should let this set about ten minutes after removing from oven.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 6 -8 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 3⁄4-1 cup fresh basil leaf, julienned
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Pre-bake crust according to directions. After removing from oven, sprinkle 1/2 cup of the mozzarella on crust and allow to cool. (This can be done ahead of time.).
- Drain sliced tomatoes on paper towels.
- Arrange tomato slices on cooled crust. Sprinkle garlic salt and basil over tomatoes. Combine mayonnaise and remaining mozzarella and spread over tomatoes. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over all.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
I was really looking forward to making this recipe and I was very pleased! I made just as posted and it was delicious! This is going to be a summer favorite... Thanks for posting Vicki in CT! Made for ZWT4.
Excellent recipe! I made a just a few tweaks; I replaced the 1/2 cup of mozzarella on the bottom with an equal amount of cheddar cheese. Also, to make sure my seasonings were even, I mixed the garlic salt into the mayo mixture. I had much better success with the recipe than other tomato pie recipes - the cheese on the bottom goes a long way to keeping the crust from getting soggy!
After reading your review of Grilled Basil-And-Garlic-Stuffed Chicken, I just had to try both! I only had a frozen deep dish pie crust, so that is what I used. Next time, I think I will use a regular one. I also used cherry tomatoes since my plant is full of these beauties right now. I baked my torte for about 40 min and it was so pretty and golden brown. I did wrap some foil around the edge of the pie crust to keep it from burning... worked out great. My torte was a little runny... probably b/c I used so many tomatoes ( due to the deep dish) and that I couldn't wait to cut into it!!! Very good flavor however... I will try this again with some romas in the near future... Thanks for sharing!!!