Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
for kids, sleepovers?
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomatoes with juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium onions, minced
- 4 ounces butter, melted
- 12 slices bread
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 cup hot tomato juice (if needed) (optional)
- In a large saucepan, place tomatoes, their juice, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Then turn down to a simmer and cook until the mixture thickens (About 30 minutes).
- Saute onions in melted butter in a 10-inch skillet, until the onions are transparent and golden.
- Add this to the tomato mixture.
- Toast the bread (crusts off) and cut into four squares to a slice.
- Grease a 1-1/2 quart round ovenproof glass baking dish.
- Put layers of toast cubes first, then the tomato mixture, then toast, tomato, ending with tomato.
- Scatter cheese all over the top and sprinkle with paprika and parsley over this.
- Bake at 350 degrees in the oven until the mixture bubbles and the cheese is melted. If this dries out too much, moisten with hot tomato juice.
- NOTE: You can also add sliced mushrooms that have been sauteed OR oregano to taste if you like that spice.