Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
Oh, this is so good. The roasted garlic adds such great depth and now's a great time to use those summer tomatoes. This can be used as an appetizer or side dish. Roast the garlic ahead to save assembly time.
- 15 ounces refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 head garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups Fontina cheese, shredded
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Press refrigerated piecrust on bottom and up sides of a square (or round) 9-inch tart pan. Bake at 450 degrees for 9 minutes or until piecrust is lightly browned. Set aside.
- Cut off pointed end of garlic bulb; place garlic on a piece of aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil. Fold foil to seal.
- Bake garlic at 425 degrees for 30 minutes; cool. Squeeze pulp from garlic cloves into bottom of piecrust and spread smooth.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup fontina cheese over the garlic.
- Slice tomatoes and sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Place on folded paper towels and let stand 10 minutes. Arrange tomato slices over shredded cheese. Sprinkle with remaining cup cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until tart is lightly browned.