Recipe by Kellie in SLO
This is a simple and great tasting way to use up the abundance of garden tomatos.
Top Review by AshK
I made this recipe just as it was posted. We just loved it. It had a very nice texture and seasoning! I think I will give it a go with some ham added in for a brunch dish. I have scads of tomatoes! Thanks for a GREAT new recipe!
- 1 9-inch pie shell, pre-baked 5 minutes
- 3-4 tomatoes, cored,seeded and cut into thick slices
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 59.16 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 236.59 ml whole milk
- 118.29 ml grated fontina or 118.29 ml monterey jack cheese
- 118.29 ml chopped fresh basil
- 29.58 ml chopped parsley
- 29.58 ml chopped chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drain tomato slices on paper towels; pat slices well to remove excess moisture.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a small skillet, heat oil.
- Saute garlic and onion until softened.
- Let cool.
- Sprinkle 2 Tbsp of the Parmesan cheese over the pie shell.
- Top with onion mixture and lay the tomato slices in a pretty pattern on top.
- In a bowl beat the eggs well, add milk and mix in Fontina or Jack cheese, basil and parsley.
- Pour over tomatoes in the pie crust.
- Sprinkle top of the pie with the remaining 2 Tbps Parmesan and the chives.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Let cool briefly before cutting.