This is a simple and great tasting way to use up the abundance of garden tomatos.
Make and share this Tomato Tart recipe from Food.com.
- 1 9-inch pie shell, pre-baked 5 minutes
- 3 -4 tomatoes, cored,seeded and cut into thick slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated fontina or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drain tomato slices on paper towels; pat slices well to remove excess moisture.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a small skillet, heat oil.
- Saute garlic and onion until softened.
- Let cool.
- Sprinkle 2 Tbsp of the Parmesan cheese over the pie shell.
- Top with onion mixture and lay the tomato slices in a pretty pattern on top.
- In a bowl beat the eggs well, add milk and mix in Fontina or Jack cheese, basil and parsley.
- Pour over tomatoes in the pie crust.
- Sprinkle top of the pie with the remaining 2 Tbps Parmesan and the chives.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Let cool briefly before cutting.