Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I saw this on Good Morning America and it sounded so interesting, I just had to save it to try one of these days! It's based on Carla Hall's recipe book.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery rib, coarsely chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- kosher salt
- 1 jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
- 1 quart vegetable stock (or store-bought unsalted vegetable broth, plus more if desired)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the oil and heat until just hot. Add the carrot, celery, onion, and ½ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions just turn translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the jalapeno, garlic, thyme, and basil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are nice and brown, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, then stir in the stock and sweet potato.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a steady simmer. Simmer until the sweet potato is very, very tender, about 1 hour. The sweet potatoes should be soft enough to mash easily with the back of a spoon.
- Remove and discard the thyme sprigs.
- Using an immersion blender or stand blender (working in batches if necessary), puree until silky smooth.
- Reheat the soup over low heat.
- Stir in the cream.
- For a thinner soup, stir in more stock.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot.
Really good, and quickly made in about 40 minutes! I used chicken broth because I had an open carton, and red pepper flakes instead of jalapeno. The bisque was naturally sweet from the onions, carrots and sweet potato, so I garnished with lime wedges. The bit of lime juice at the table gave it a bright finish! Tagged for the For Your Consideration game on http://4foodfriendsandfun.yuku.com/ ~