Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 7⁄8 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 24 ounces Baby Spinach
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a small saucepan, combine tomatoes (with their juice) and 3 cups water. Bring just to a simmer; keep warm over low heat.
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add sausage and onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, breaking up sausage with a spoon, until sausage is opaque and onion has softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add rice; cook, stirring until well coated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add wine; cook, stirring until absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Add about 2 cups hot tomato mixture to rice; simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until absorbed, 4 to 5 minutes. Continue adding tomato mixture, 1 cup at a time, waiting for one cup to be absorbed before adding the next, stirring occasionally, until rice is creamy and just tender, about 25 minutes total (you may not have to use all the liquid).
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in spinach, Parmesan, and butter; season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately (risotto will thicken as it cools), and sprinkle with additional Parmesan, if desired.
I was just coming to post this wonderful recipe but see you've already beaten me to it. :-) This has it all - ease of preparation with ingredients found in most pantries and refrigerators, quick, nutritious and - best of all for me - my kids love it. It has become something of a staple in our home and I often add a pinch of saffron to the tomatoes/water. Super good!