Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Made this as a side for Mexican meals.
- 1 cup rice
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons onion flakes
- Mix all ingredients in sauce pan.
- Bring to boil and stir well.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer till liquid is absorbed and rice is tender (20 to 30 minutes).
- Note I cook this in the microwave so the time is approximate.
- To microwave, mix all ingredients in a microwaveable bowl about 2 quart size. Cover loosely with plastic wrap with small vent. Push rice button and about midway through cycle press stop/pause and stir then continue cycle.
Loved the flavour combinations in this dish. I upped the cumin and lessened the chilli slightly but other than that, made as directed. Will make this often.
Very nice. Made exactly as directed, no substitutes, nothing left out! I cooked on top of the stove, although another time I might use the microwave method, as I more generally do cook my rice in the microwave. This was pleasantly spicy, but not overly so, it would accompany most dishes, and particularly nice with tomato-based sauces. Can you tell I like tomatoes? :D Made for Think Pink, October 2009
This was really good and a nice change. I'm very glad to have tried this and I will most likely try it again.