Recipe by Anu
I had this fantastic soup tonight and was totally blown away by how flavourful it was! This is probably the best soup I've tasted, and what's better is that it makes a low-cal yet satisfying meal. Note: Using vegetable margarine makes this vegan. This is from www.meals.com
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole coriander seed
- 1 cup shelled walnuts, finely ground (AFTER measuring)
- 4 cups water
- 2 ounces vermicelli, broken into pieces
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, heat 3 tablespoons of the butter and sauté onions until golden.
- With a mortar and pestle, pound together garlic, salt, pepper and coriander seed.
- Stir ground walnuts into onions along with garlic mixture, water and pasta.
- Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- In a separate pan, cook tomatoes over low heat until softened.
- Stir them into the soup and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Add parsley, cilantro and the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and simmer a few minutes longer before serving.
- Serve hot with warm toasted garlic bread.
- Note: If the tomatoes are not ripe enough for full flavor, either add 1 teaspoon tomato paste or substitute two 16-ounce cans tomatoes, drained.