Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from the most recent book. Have not tried. Prepared with baking staples and pantry items, this hearty vegetable soup is rich in protein, and cooks up quickly making it a good choice for a weeknight meal or or other busy times.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 ounces white mushrooms, trimmed and quarted (about 6 medium)
- 1 medium summer squash, diced
- 15 ounces lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 14 ounces no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with juices
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 cup water
- In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, celery, garlic, basil, oregano, and pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, squash. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes more.
- Stir in beans, diced tomatoes and their juices, tomato sauce, and water. Bring to a simmer and cook briefly just to heat through.