1 hr 5 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This soup is great served cold or at room temperature. Perfect as a starter for a summer meal, as a light luncheon dish, or packed for a sophisticated picnic lunch with chicken salad on croissants. Originally from an August 1984 issue of Bon Apetit that featured a section on Picnics Made Perfect. Fresh tomatoes, straight off the vine, are a must for this for best flavor!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 sprigs fresh tarragon (or 1 T. dried tarragon, crumbled)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large tomatoes, quartered (about 2 lbs.)
- 4 cups rich chicken broth, preferably homemade (or more)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 sprig fresh thyme (or 1 T. dried thyme, crumbled)
- 1 small bay leaf
- cayenne pepper
- 1Remove leaves from 1 tarragon branch;reserve for garnish.
- 2Heat olive oil in large heavy saucepan over low heat.
- 3Add onion, cover and cook until translucent,stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- 4Stir in tomatoes.
- 5Blend in 4 cups chicken broth, tomato paste, 2 tarragon branches and 1 tarragon stem, thyme, bay leaf and salt and cayenne to taste.
- 6Increase heat to medium and bring to a boil.
- 7Reduce heat and simmer until soup thickens, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
- 8Cool to room temperature.
- 9Puree soup in blender or food processor.
- 10Strain through a sieve to eliminate seeds, if desired.
- 11If soup is too thick, thin with more broth; if too thin, simmer to thicken.
- 13Before serving, adjust seasonings.
- 14Pour or ladle into bowls or mugs, garnish with reserved tarragon leaves, and serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Soup With Tarragon
Serving Size: 1 (820 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 120.7
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 817.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: