Recipe by HeidiSue
Another Giada De Laurentiis recipe from her family dinners cookbook. This soup is heavenly, I was stunned at all of the amazing flavors it has in it. This is a must try!
Top Review by sugarpea
Unfortunately my stomach couldn't deal with the acid from the tomatoes the evening I made this soup, but Dh assures me the soup was very good. I'm glad I made the effort to get the exact ingredients rather than make substitutions. He noticed and appreciated the difference.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 slices rustic rye bread (sliced 3/4-inch thick and cubed 5 3/4-inch x 3 3/4-inch)
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium flame.
- Add the pancetta and saute until crisp and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and saute until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the bread cubes and toss to coat with the pan drippings.
- Saute until the bread cubes are golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer uncovered until the flavors blend, about 10 minutes.
- Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mascarpone and sour cream until blended.
- Ladle the soup into bowls.
- Spoon a dollop of the mascarpone mixture onto each serving and serve.