Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes in puree
- 6 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 3⁄4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and next 5 ingredients.
- Cover; cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and broth. Cover and simmer vegetables 40 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cool slightly.
- Cover; chill. Rewarm before continuing.)
- Whisk cream, rosemary and teaspoon lemon peel in bowl until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir remaining teaspoons lemon peel into soup. Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle cream mixture over and serve.
This was quick, easy and tasted wonderful. It is similar to a recipe I posted from Food Network. Both are very yummy!