Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted From Food & Wine's "Quick From Scratch Soups & Salads Cookbook".
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes with juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried sage
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup ditalini or 1⁄2 cup other small shell pasta
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium low heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic.
- Add the tomatoes, sage, broth, water & salt to the pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the pasta and chickpeas.
- Bring the soup back to a boil, then reduce the heat.
- Cook, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley, pepper, and the 1/3 cup Parmesan.
- Serve topped with additional Parmesan.