Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
The most unlikely of recipes that quickly becomes a favorite! It's will remind you of carrot cake, but with it's own twist. Good the first day, better every day after, since the spices really flair with time. It's very impressive to anyone who tries it, and though it seems time extensive, it's really not too bad. It did come off the Cambells recipe website, if you want to look up a picture there :)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can Campbell's condensed tomato soup
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup water
- cream cheese frosting (recipe below)
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F Grease 13" x 9" baking pan.
- MIX flour, sugar, baking powder, allspice, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves in bowl. Add soup, shortening, eggs and water. Beat until mixed, using mixer at low speed. Beat 4 min., using high speed. Pour into prepared pan.
- BAKE 40 minute or until inserted knife or toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for about 30 minutes.
- Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- To make Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese (softened), 2 tablespoons milk and 1 teaspoons vanilla in bowl until creamy, using mixer at medium speed. Slowly beat in 1 pkg. (16 oz.) confectioners' sugar, mixing until smooth and of spreading consistency. (Add a little more milk if needed.) Makes 3 cups.
I'd heard of this kind of cake before but never tried it ~ This recipe makes a very tasty cake! Didn't make the frosting, though, instead serving the cake with some frozen vanilla yogurt topped with an apricot sauce! Very enjoyable! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's Pick-A-Chef]