Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I am a soup-a-holic and am constantly on a quest for the new, perfect soup. This is it. Trust me. This is homemade tomato soup at its best. The secret is the butter...it imparts the most heavenly taste. The search is over. I am enjoying my second bowl as I post this recipe...simple yet delicious.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 24 ounces plum tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth, use stock, not broth (or homemade stock)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until onions have softened, about 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until tomatoes, onions and garlic are soft, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer soup to the jar of a blender and puree until smooth. Return to saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until soup is heated through. If soup seems too thick, stir in some extra stock to thin. Serve immediately.