Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the BEST TOMATO SOUP ever!! (I actually do not like tomato soup.) I used this recipe the year we had a bumper crop of tomatoes. I lost the recipe and finally found it after a four-yr. search. It is from Taste Of Home. YUMMY!
- 4 cups de-skinned chopped tomatoes (core them too)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion (chopped or diced-to your taste)
- 2 cups carrots (diced or sliced)
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper (yuck-I omit these)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder (your call)
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (I use chick. bullion cubes-5 of them for 4. c. water)
- 1⁄4 cup flour (I guess cornstarch would work, but it will thicken up more and be shiny.)
- salt and pepper, to taste- i use seasoned salt and garlic powder also
- Sautee carrots, onion,celery and peppers in butter. I start carrots first, as they take a bit longer. I would say 3-4 minutes if you diced carrots. If you sliced carrots, give them about 2-4 minutes extra time, then add the rest of the veggies. In this recipe, undercooking is fine. You can always nuke the soup.
- Add 4.C chick. broth, tomatoes, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes Cool.
- Use the remaining 1/4 C chick. broth and flour to make a thin paste and stir into cooled mixture. Cook on med. heat until the mixture thickens.
- I add more butter and eat it all myself.