Recipe by Arnoldsacres
When you have a ton of tomatoes and want that goodness into jars for a dark, cold winter
- 14 quarts tomatoes, quartered
- 7 medium onions
- 2 celery ribs
- 10 parsley sprigs
- 1⁄2-1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 3 bay leaves
- 14 tablespoons flour
- 14 tablespoons butter
- 3 -4 tablespoons noniodized salt
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Add to quartered tomatoes, in a large stockpot, minced onions, celery, parsley and broken up bay leaves. (I use the old food processor), cook until celery is tender.
- Put mixture through sieve.
- Rub flour and butter into a smooth paste thinned with the tomato juice. Add to boiling soup, stir often to prevent scorching.
- Add salt, sugar, pepper and lemon juice.
- For smoother consistency run through sieve again, recommend esp. if using Roma type tomatoes.
- Fill clean jars to within 1 inch top of jar. Put on cap and process in boiling hot water bath for 15 minutes.
- Disclaimer- the USDA does not recommend using flour in canning recipes, use at your own risk, a delectable risk at that.