Prep 2 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
My second soup for canning recipe. This one is from Libbie, via Mrs Carl Sporleder. It is a very old recipe and I am writing the recipe as written. I am guessing at the amount this makes. Always follow the Ball canning book directions. This is an interesting recipe to read just by itself for how they did things back then.
- 8 quarts tomatoes, peeled, chopped
- 6 onions, small, chopped
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 bunch celery, not to big, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- This is the recipe as written.
- 8 qts ripe tomatoes; peel and put on to cook.
- Add 6 small onions, 1 pepper green or red, 1 bunch celery not too large.
- Cook all this together until tender then put through a hired girl.
- Strain and use clear or thin juice for the soup, reserving the pulp part of the tomatoes for beef soup or stew or spaghetti then add 1 scant cup of sugar to juice and 1/4 cup salt and 1/2 cup butter.
- Thicken this with 1 cup flour.
- Put in jars and seal and cook 15 minutes in canning kettle.