Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup pecans, chopped
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 deg. Grease and flour A 9"x13" pan or a Bundt pan.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, and beat until fluffy.
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Mix tomato soup and water.
- Add dry ingredients and soup mixture alternately to creamed mixture. Fold in nuts.
- Pour into pan and bake 30 minute in 9x13" pan, or 40 minute in Bundt pan.
- Mix the glaze ingredients until smooth, and spread on cake when just slightly warm.
We just made the cake "a la carte" without the glaze. It tasted more like it would be a good chocolate muffin recipe. Not very rich and chocolatey. I think an addition of melted bittersweet or chocolate pudding mix might make this seem moister and more rich-- more like a special treat!