Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
I had an excessive amount of tomatoes one year and had made all the rest of my tomato canning (salsa, spaghetti sauce, canned tomatoes and juice) and still had tomatoes left over. Tried this.
- 2 cups chopped onions (I use food processor)
- 2 cups chopped celery (I use celery leaves only)
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 20 cups tomato juice
- 1 (13 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomatoes, basil and garlic seasoning (Mrs. Dash) (optional)
- TO PREPARE JUICE.
- Place washed and quartered tomatoes (I use Roma) in large blue roaster.
- Fill roaster 3/4 full with tomatoes.
- Place in oven and bake at 325°F for 75 minutes. Stirring once.
- Let cool, slightly.
- Place the tomatoes through cone shaped strainer to remove the juice.
- TO PREPARE SOUP.
- In a heavy stock pot over medium heat saute onions, celery and garlic in butter until transparent.
- Add tomato juice, tomato paste, sugar, pickling salt, basil, thyme, pepper and Mrs. Dash seasoning.
- Simmer 20 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 teaspoons of lemon juice to each sterile quart sealer.
- Ladle soup into jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Process in hot water bath 10 minutes. SEAL.
- TO SERVE SOUP.
- Pour 1 quart sealer into heavy sauce pan.
- Add 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add any ONE of these, depending on taste.
- 1/3 cup whipping cream.
- 2/3 cup creammilk.
- 1 cup milk.
- Mix one of the above with 3 tablespoons flour.
- Add to tomato soup stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add 1 cup cooked pasta.
- Add 1 cup chopped chicken.
- Add 1 cup cooked mixed vegetables.
- Add 1 cup cooked rice.
- OR any of the above combined.