Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious simple tomato soup! Add sour cream when serving to make a creamy tomato soup or just garnish with a little parmesan and some chopped fresh basil. This is a chunky tomato soup. It is so good and fast you will never buy tomato soup in a can again!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (juice drained)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- sour cream (optional)
- grated parmesan cheese (to garnish)
- fresh basil (to garnish)
- Heat soup pot over medium heat.
- Add olive oil, chopped shallot and minced garlic.
- Saute 3-4 minutes.
- Add both cans of tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Add vegetable stock and stir.
- Season soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring soup to a slow boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
- If desired, add a dollop of sour cream when serving to make a creamier tomato soup.
- You can also garnish the soup with parmesan and chopped fresh basil when serving.
Used a small onion instead of the shallot. This was too tart and acidic for our tastes, I stirred in some half and half in the individual bowls. It made it a little creamier-but it still had too much of a 'bite' to us.
Very, very quick and simple to make. I spiced it up with Lea and Perrins sauce and some basil throughout the soup, opposed to just garnish. The parmesan cheese on top makes it extra yummy and it is a perfect recipe for South Beach Dieters like me!!!