Recipe by Larkin
I just started making this, and it is adapted to my liking from another recipe. I highly recommend using all organic products for this soup. For the tomatoes, I use Trader Joe's brand with basil. It's pretty wonderful!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed plum tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- italian seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice onion and garlic finely and set aside.
- In a 6-quart pot, heat the olive oil and butter on medium heat until the butter is melted.
- Once butter is melted, add onions and garlic and sauté until onions are softened/translucent (not browned).
- Once softened, add flour and cover the oil/butter/onion/garlic combination in it.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Once the soup is combined, allow it to return to a boil and then put the heat on low.
- Let the soup come to a boil, then simmer on low for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the 30-minute period is up, you can eat the soup chunky as is, or you can puree the soup.
- To puree the soup, I recommend using a food processor and splitting the soup into three batches.