Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I just started making this, and it is adapted to my liking from another recipe. I highly recommend using all organic products for this soup. For the tomatoes, I use Trader Joe's brand with basil. It's pretty wonderful!
- Dice onion and garlic finely and set aside.
- In a 6-quart pot, heat the olive oil and butter on medium heat until the butter is melted.
- Once butter is melted, add onions and garlic and sauté until onions are softened (not browned).
- Once softened, add flour and cover the oil/butter/onion/garlic combination in it.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and italian seasoning.
- Once the soup is combined, allow it to return to a boil and then put the heat on low.
- Let the soup simmer on low for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the 45-minute period is up, you can eat the soup chunky as is, or you can allow it to cool for 1 hour and puree the soup.
- To puree the soup, I recommend using a food processor and splitting the soup into three batches.