Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
We really enjoyed this soup with grilled cheese sandwiches -- comfort food. When I made this recipe my cans of ingredients were of different sizes, so I used 4 cups vegetable broth, 28 oz tomatoes, 15 oz tomatoes sauce, a good sprinkle of dried thyme. Also the leftover sauce which I cooked down a bit I heated up for dinner, added a bit of water and had it with pasta. Same recipe - two meals -- worked for me. Recipe source: local newspaper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth (see note in description) or 3 cups vegetable broth (see note in description)
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
- 3 (14 ounce) cans tomatoes, diced and undrained (see note in description)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (see not in description)
- 2 sprigs thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk (I used skim milk)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat add oil to the pan and then add the vegetables (onion - leek) and sauté until vegetables are soft (8-10 minutes).
- Stir in next 5 ingredients (broth - thyme) and bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove and discard thyme.
- Puree soup with and immersion blender until smooth.
- Add milk, vinegar and pepper and heat until hot.
Delicious! I used a bunch of green onions in place of a leek, almond milk and vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.