We really enjoyed this soup with grilled cheese sandwiches -- comfort food. When I made this recipe my cans of ingredients were of different sizes, so I used 4 cups vegetable broth, 28 oz tomatoes, 15 oz tomatoes sauce, a good sprinkle of dried thyme. Also the leftover sauce which I cooked down a bit I heated up for dinner, added a bit of water and had it with pasta. Same recipe - two meals -- worked for me. Recipe source: local newspaper
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth (see note in description) or 3 cups vegetable broth (see note in description)
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
- 3 (14 ounce) cans tomatoes, diced and undrained (see note in description)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (see not in description)
- 2 sprigs thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk (I used skim milk)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1In a large saucepan over medium-low heat add oil to the pan and then add the vegetables (onion - leek) and sauté until vegetables are soft (8-10 minutes).
- 2Stir in next 5 ingredients (broth - thyme) and bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- 3Remove and discard thyme.
- 4Puree soup with and immersion blender until smooth.
- 5Add milk, vinegar and pepper and heat until hot.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (460 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.4
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 3.2 mg
- Sodium 705.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 7.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: