Recipe by Suzanne S.
This recipe started from one I found in the Essential New York Times Cookbook, but I had to make some substitutions to keep me from going to the store. It was most delicious!
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 4 basil leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 35 ounces tomatoes
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 8 TBSP butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add onion, thyme, basil, and salt and pepper to taste and cook stirring occasionally, until onion is wilted. Whiz up the canned tomatoes in a food processor. Add tomatoes and tomato soup and stir to blend. Bring to simmer and simmer 10 minutes.
- Place the flour in a small bowl and add about 5 tablespoons of broth, stirring to blend. Stir this into the tomato mixture, add remaining broth and bring to simmer. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
- Add sugar and cream, simmering 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining butter, stir to melt. Serve.