Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Sundays at my house are all about tomato soup and grilled cheese. This recipe is super simple and tomato soup doesn't get any better than this! I can only hope you enjoy it as much as my husband and brother and in law!
- 2 (15 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch on baking soda
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Combine first 4 ingredients in pot. (I put the stewed tomatoes through a food processor first as we don't like the chunks).
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and simmer 60 minutes.
- Add baking soda.
- Wait for fizz to go down.
- Add whipping cream.
- Wait until soup is desired temperature.
- Serve (with grilled cheese of course).
This is the 4B's Restaurant recipe except the 4B's version adds a tablespoon of chopped onion and blends it all right before adding cream. Very good. 4B's is always a favorite destination when in Montana. I make this up and can it without the cream for my own condensed soup.
This was excellent, and so simple! I resisted the urge to add sauteed onion. The flavor was crisp and clear, I did add a pinch of dill weed, which complimented the soup perfectly. Thanks for sharing this keeper! Made for PAC 2013