Prep 7 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easy tomato soup with rice.
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice (long grain i.e. "Uncle Ben's)
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (smooshed between your fingers)
- 1 (14 ounce) can water (make sure you get all the tomato out of the can, add up to 1/2 cup of water if needed, to thick)
- 1⁄2 small onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, pressed and minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, kosher
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, ground (we love pepper)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 dashes hot sauce (Tabasco or Cholula preferred, Optional!!)
- 1⁄4 dried herbes de provence (between palms of hand)
- 1 cup crouton (herb flavored)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chifanod
- Please cook rice first. Or if you're lucky - you can use what is left over from the Chinese food you bought the other nite from the carryout.
- In medium soup-pot, put in olive oil, turn heat up to med/high. Add onion, cook 1 minute. Add garlic. Swirl around soup-pot with spoon until garlic is fragrant. (about 30 seconds).
- Smoosh tomatoes in bowl, with fingers, or use a sharp knife with a fork and dice if you don't want to use your fingers.
- Add crushed tomatoes to soup-pot, along with rest of ingredients, down to additions.
- Turn up heat to high, stir, and wait for a soft bubbly boil. When boil comes, cover, turn heat down to low, let cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add rice.
- After 10 minutes, stir in herbs de province, croutons.
- Pour in warmed soup bowls, (run hot water in and around soup bowls for 5 minutes. prior to serving) add fresh basil to top.
Comfort food at it's best! Totally loved it, and it's so easy. To have a whole meal, I added some shredded cooked left over chicken and had it with some arugula salad. Great light dinner on a warm spring day. Thanks for sharing! Also I loved the story. Thanks so much for another wonderful chapter from the farm book :)
Made for National Tomato Month in the Diabetic Forum.
This is good for a really quick soup to help me get over this cold!!! DD (toddler) enjoyed it as well. I didn't have a problem with the white Basmati rice which I used soaking up the broth but we ate ours right after cooked. Also 1/2 cup cooked means 1/4 cup dry I think! This makes a bit more than 2 servings but not enough for 3 in my opinion. I used unrefined extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, freshly ground pepper in a little less amount, red Tabasco sauce in the amount called for plus I put more on top of mine (good to make this cold go away I think) I left out the croutons as we are gluten free, by mistake I read basil and didn't see the word fresh so I used dried and it was still fine. I would make this again for a quick soup but not really for DH since he doesn't like tomatoes. Made for Veggie Swap 31 ~ February 2011.
Very good!! I ate it all right by myself. I love it. Very Very easy to make when you do not want to cook but must eat. I loved it. Thank You for something I can eat just for myself. Hugs