Adapted from "Everyday with Rachael Ray", August 2009. The original recipe calls for yellow tomatoes, which are not available here. That recipe is called Golden Tomato Soup. Soup can be served hot or cold.
- Seed the tomatoes into a strainer so that you can extract as much of the liquid as possible from the tomatoes; discard seeds.
- Chop the flesh of the tomatoes and add to the extracted tomato liquid.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the butter and onions, cooking, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and brown sugar, cooking until tomatoes are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and water, stir in bread crumbs, season with salt, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree soup in food processor.
- Refrigerate if serving cold.
- Just before serving, whip the cream until soft peaks form; fold in pepper and dollop whipped cream on top of the soup.