Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This soup is sooo much better than the canned stuff! Years ago, I made this with fresh tomatoes for canning. I discovered I could make it up for lunch just using small amounts. I have changed the recipe by adding chicken stock and it makes the soup taste like it's cooked a long time.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper (any color)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes (stewed or diced)
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- Heat the olive oil over med heat, add onions, bell pepper and celery and saute until soft (7-10 minutes).
- Add tomatoes, sauce, chicken stock, bay leaf, salt & pepper and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- If soup is too thick, add water to correct consistency.
- Serve with favorite grilled cheese sandwiches!
This was my first experiment with making homemade tomato soup. Good bye Campbells!!! I doubled the ingredients and used homegrown/frozen Roma tomatoes and a whole yellow pepper. I also used by immersion blender to make a smooth soup. I omitted the bay leaf and the sugar. I used fresh ground pepper and Lawrys seasoned salt. Everyone should try this soup.....better than any tomato soup I have ever tasted!!!!
This was very good and my first time making a scratch tomato soup. We did find it a bit to tangy BUT I did use home canned tomatos and sauce and those are alot different then store bought. LOL I did use my immersion blender to wiz it just a bit. Made for PAC Fall 2009
A very nice tomato soup I liked it that the veg wasn't blended in as most tomato soups are the flavour was amazing we were so disappointed when the pot was empty. I made it to the recipe and it was very quick to put together. We will be having this for lunch again as we loved it very fruity. Made for PAC Fall09