For a luxurious soup try this sophisticated recipe, flavoured with fresh herbs and enriched with cream. A favourite in the UK for comforting when you are feeling unwell.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 celery rib, finely diced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/4 lbs tomatoes
- 1 pint chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaf, stalks reserved
- 2 teaspoons thyme, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 7 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1In a large, heavy-based saucepan, melt the butter over a medium heat.
- 2Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot and cook, stirring frequently, until softened - around 3-5 minutes.
- 3Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes, without letting it colour.
- 4Skin, deseed and chopped the tomatoes, saving the juice.
- 5Tip in the tomatoes along with their juice, and add the stock, sun-dried tomato paste, basil, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- 6In a separate small saucepan heat together the vinegar, sugar and basil stalks and cook briskly until reduced by half. Strain and reserve.
- 7In a food processor or blender, puree the tomato soup until smooth. Return to the pan and reheat. Stir in the heavy cream.
- 8Add enough of the vinegar reduction to sharpen.
- 9Serve with a swirl of cream.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (471 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 275.3
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 49.6 mg
- Sodium 286.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 16.8 g
- Protein 6.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar